Sunday, July 8, 2012
Stories from my Commute: Visitors
Each year about 12 million people visit Boston. They come for all different reasons: the historical sites, the 4th of July with The Pops, shopping, professional reasons, etc. Though these visitors come all year around, the majority are seen between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Fewer students and faculty members are in the city, and many residents flee the city for long Summer weekends. I’m sure the Summertime shifts make the tourists more noticeable walking around and on the T.
I was walking through The Commons the other day with a friend, and he said to me, “we’re the only two people in this area not carrying a map; maybe we should get one.” My reply was, it wouldn’t help, and we both laughed. We were not laughing at the confused tourists; we know learning one’s way around Boston isn’t easy. We just know the truth: the map will not help. Maps only help if one knows where one is, and that is the challenge in Boston until one gets a feel for the city.
Mostly the visitors from all over the world are great. They ask for directions and give some creative people jobs leading the duck tours.
The most amusing visitors are often from other parts in the U.S. like the couple I saw on the train a few days ago. I got on the T and observed this middle-aged couple sitting not far away from where I stood. The woman turned to her male companion, her husband I assume, and said isn’t it amazing how these blind people are riding the train all by themselves. She went on to remark to her husband, and everyone else around her, that a woman with a dog got right on the train without even hesitating. At this point I was mystified, but completely acting as though I did not hear this woman. It seemed easier than trying to formulate a response. What can one say to this type of commentary? I’m certain she didn’t realize her remarks were condescending and reflected far more on her own ignorance than giving credit to those she was observing. It seems socially acceptable to speak about people with a disability in the same way one might speak of a toddler.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment