Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Possibilities of iRobot

Did you see the story in the New York Times about the robot Ava that is being developed? You can find the article by Christopher Drew here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/03/technology/for-irobot-the-future-is-getting-closer.html. The technology being developed by iRobot Corporation and other robotics companies are really amazing. According to the article, Mr. Colin Angle Of iRobot hopes that robots may one day be more actively used within healthcare for remote forms of care and personal assistance and by businessmen for remote meetings and office functions. Personally, I would love it if iRobot were successful, and not because I own stock in their company. Similar to others who grew up watching The Jetsons, I envision using robots one day. My dream is to have a robotic navigational system powered by solar and rechargeable battery that can help me navigate. I would love to be able to program a robot about where I needed to go, and have it help me by insuring I could find the right train or bus, sidewalk, and entrance. The robot would be able to scan to read signs, bus numbers, product labels, price tags and building directories. The robot would walk along with me insuring that I found my way and devising an alternative route if construction or other obstacles got in my way. Imagine the power of a guide, reader, and GPS for a pedestrian and person using public transportation, all combined into a single robot. The best part is this technology could be used for those with visual impairments, but also for those developing cognitive limitations. It could be used to supplement the work of orientation and mobility specialists, physical and occupational therapists, and by those in the hospitality industry. Of course I would like to use a robot at work to perform office functions and to give remote presentations. I would really be happy if a robot could do my laundry complete with ironing and folding, and who wouldn’t want a robot that could mix a favorite cocktail or get that morning cup of coffee… I sure hope iRobot thinks about people of all ages and abilities using these robots and not just being served by them. I want a woman caring for her husband with Alzheimer’s disease to be able to setup one of these robots, even if her computer knowledge is minimal. I use screen reader assistive technology that reads some of what is on a computer screen to me, and I want to program one of these robots. I would like to work with it, not simply be served by a robot someone else has to control. Perhaps an example would help. Microsoft has always thought of accessibility as a secondary concern, and historically has counted on third parties to make their operating system and software accessible. Sadly, because millions of users are an afterthought, many mainstream products have serious limitations, even today. For example, I can read a Power Point presentation someone else creates with a screen reader, but I can’t create my own using screen reader assistive technology. Adobe is no better with their presentation software, Adobe Connect, used for webinars. Adobe made some of the features for the participant accessible, but I can’t create the presentation. Microsoft and Adobe make the same shortsighted assumption that a person using a screen reader will be in the audience, not the person creating and giving the presentation. And this outdated view of technological development is leaving many people with disabilities and people born before the tech boom behind. I hope iRobot becomes a leader in accessibility and inclusion at all levels of their product design. Millions of potential robot users in business and health care settings have a disability or aren’t extremely comfortable with technology. Plus, iRobot is going to be marketing their products to government agencies and health care providers who are required to comply with the ADA. These public entities and healthcare organizations will have to be thinking about accessibility for those they serve and their employees. If robots are truly going to become our personal and professional helpers in the future, I sure hope everyone will be able to work with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment