Sunday, February 12, 2012

Stories from my commute: The Possum

Recently on my commute I experienced two different situations that were equally unhelpful. Both involved an individual who stood perfectly still. I might not have remembered either of these events, but because they both occurred on my way to work in a single morning, they have stayed with me. For those of you who do not know me personally, I navigate through the world with a cane. IN this age of high tech, I know it seems ridiculous that the only two options for independent mobility for people who have low or no sight are a dog guide or a cane. Regrettably no one has applied his or her knowledge of robotics to independent orientation and mobility. I keep hoping that instead of target seeking drones, the amazing techno geeks can develop a navigational guiding system for people with low or no vision. However this idea probably warrants its own blog entry, and I should get back to my story. It was the typical morning; I’d started moving with the assistance of my cat, who persistently requested her breakfast, and two cups of donut shop coffee. I made myself presentable for work, shut off the Keurig, and scratched the sleeping cat before heading out the door. I passed the guy distributing The Metro to the morning commuters, and had just scanned my card to gain entry to the train. I was moving from the gate to the stairwell leading to the train platform when my cane hit a still form. I attempted to move to one side to reach the stairwell, but there was a stream of people moving beside me. I waited for an opening and moved over to get to the stairwell. I had to be more cautious than usual because I couldn’t use the railing to help identify the stairs. As I passed the obstacle, I realized it was an individual leaning up against the start of the handrail at the top of the stairs. After I passed him I heard him mumble sorry. I remember thinking “jerk”, but to the best of my ability, I kept moving with the flow of people who were hoping to get on the incoming train. I suppose it’s possible that he was glued to that spot for a sociological study or handcuffed to the railing as a practical joke, but it was probably just a complete disregard for others and a lack of awareness of the trouble he was causing. I reached downtown where I switch trains, and while I was waiting, I ran into a train acquaintance, Nancy. We greeted one another and exchanged pleasantries as we waited. The wait was longer than usual, and as a result, our train was crowded. When the train reached our stop, I moved to get off. I got to the three steps leading to the door of the train, and there stood a guy with his backside pressed up against the railing. I was able to carefully navigate down the steps and onto the platform, again wondering what the heck was wrong with people and why this guy felt he had to guard the handrail. Was he really so frightened at the prospect of a blind person moving to get off the train that he was unable to move? It flashed through my mind that if he’d fallen over I would have some circumstantial evidence for an evolutionary anomaly that made him like a possum. As I started down the platform toward the station exit, I realized that Nancy was struggling. She got stuck in the doorway of the train and had to yell to get the conductor to allow her the time to get off the train. The self-appointed handrail guard hadn’t moved, and I knew Nancy had a bad knee. I was really concerned Nancy was going to fall, so I turned back in case I could be helpful. I stood long enough to know she was off the train and no harm had come to her. I hope that the possums got the message and move next time. There is a reason for handrails: Access to handrails help prevent fall related injuries and deaths by providing guidance or support for people as they navigate stairs. By playing possum you may be increasing the risk that someone could fall and get seriously hurt. While it is true that most falls happen in one’s home, a fall getting on or off a train could be devastating. If the potential harm to someone isn’t enough to convince you, just think of the inconvenience the train delays would cause you if someone fell and needed medical attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment